Before the huge wedding day festivities can happen, there must be some practice. You have to rehearse who is going at what time and where exactly everyone is placed. So, after all of that rehearsing, you all want to go out and celebrate, and there is no better way to celebrate than with some delicious eats! If you’re looking to get married in St. Joseph (Aka the most beautiful place on Lake Michigan), than you’re probably looking for some good rehearsal dinner restaurants to celebrate the fact that you’re almost there. Well look no future, my friend, because here is your guide to some great, as well as tasty, places to host your rehearsal dinner! Read More
Ever wonder what that building below the bluff with the living roof and circular structure is? It’s none other than The Silver Beach Center. The Center is home to three non-profit organizations: The Silver Beach Carousel, The Curious Kids’ Discovery Zone, and The Shadowland Ballroom. This family friendly building opened in 2010 and has allowed thousands of families from across the globe to make cherished memories. The Center is also home to Michigan’s largest Kaleidoscope that spins beautiful patterns that young and old alike love to watch. But what makes each of the non-profits unique? Read More
In the midst of all your pinning, fittings, tastings, and general planning, don’t forget arguably the most important part of your day…making it legal! Having a big party to celebrate your new life as husband and wife doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if all the I’s aren’t dotted and T’s not crossed. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind while planning your St. Joseph wedding for all you non-residents out there.
- Wherever you apply for your marriage license, you must have your ceremony in that county…so if you are getting married in places like St. Joseph, Stevensville, Benton Harbor, Niles, New Buffalo, Bridgman, Berrien Springs, Coloma, Union Pier, Baroda, Three Oaks, or Buchanan apply in Berrien County either at the Administration Building in St. Joseph or the courthouse in Niles.
- Both you and spouse-to-be must be 18 years of age or older. If you are 16 or 17, then you have to have more paperwork signed by your parent or guardian to say they okay the marriage. There’s a lot more involved if you are under 18 so make sure to call the office before applying to make sure all your ducks are in a row.
- Good news! Now Michigan doesn’t require blood tests before getting married! Yippee! No needles for you! They do give you some nice pamphlets on staying healthy and what not. Also not required by the state anymore is premarital counseling…but don’t get too excited yet, you may have to go through some sort of counseling as a requirement for whoever is going to marry you.
- For the application you will need a valid ID (either driver’s license or state ID) for each of the parties applying and your social security numbers. You can apply in person or online, but if you apply online, both parties will need to be present to pick up the license and confirm all the documents are valid. Also, (and this is a biggie) make sure the address on your ID matches the address you put down on your application. If they don’t then you can’t get married! Just kidding…but if they don’t match then there could be delays in getting your license all squared away and who needs that added stress?
- After applying (which can take about 30 minutes to finish the whole process) you can pick up your shiny new license 3 business days after applying.
- Keep in mind, your marriage license is only valid 33 days from the day you apply, so don’t get it too early.
- For non-residents the fee to get the license is $30 ($20 for Michigan residents)
- Just because you have your license doesn’t mean things are all legal quite yet. Keep your license close on your wedding day. Your officiant will have to fill in a bunch of details and sign it and then you and your better half and your witnesses will have to sign it too. Typically the officiant would then take it back to the county clerk to get it processed, but make sure that is the case. Again, you don’t want to be working on your suntan on your fabulous honeymoon and be worrying about things like your marriage license not getting filed correctly. Because here’s the kicker…your marriage is only official after the license gets filed after your ceremony. So, don’t let that great dress and big party go to waste, make sure all your legal ducks are in a row and everyone knows their part in getting things legally on the up and up.
So, that’s a little crash course for getting married in St. Joseph…for more information don’t hesitate to look online at: Read More
Shadowland Ballroom has been the host to many ceremonies in the past, but for those couples who like the idea of experiencing more of the beautiful Southwest Michigan, we thought maybe you’d like some recommendations on different ceremony venues! Whether it be toes-in-the-sand or the want for fresh air and a wonderful backdrop, St. Joseph and surrounding areas offer some of the best ceremony opportunities! Check them out…
Weekday – Resident $100, Non-Resident $150
Weekend/Holiday – Resident $200, Non-Resident $250 Read More
One of the great things about holding your wedding or event in the Shadowland Ballroom is the close proximity of Downtown St. Joseph which enables you to continue the party after hours. Some top-rated restaurants and bars are within walking distance of the Ballroom and are open year-round, so no matter the season of your event the fun won’t stop!
Check out some of the fun, entertaining locations that will allow you and your guests to continue your celebrations after your/their time at Shadowland:
The smells of Silver Beach Pizza drift over to the Shadowland Ballroom’s Sunset Patio and make it hard for some to think of anything but the superior tastes found at this restaurant. A train depot turned “best pizza place in town,” SBP offers amazing customer service, two bars, and a great view of Whirlpool Fountain and Lake Michigan from its open-air patio. Not to mention, SBP’s famous frosted schooners. If you have an early event and want to continue the fun, definitely jump across the railroad tracks and grab some pizza! Read More
St. Joseph is becoming a hot spot for destination weddings and as the Shadowland Ballroom’s clientel grows to reach new corners of the country, we would like to help those guests traveling by steering them to the best accommodations offered in town.
The closest accommodation to Shadowland is the Boulevard Inn which is ideally nestled atop the bluff. With newly remodeled all-suite accommodations, the Boulevard offers breathtaking views of Lake Michigan and Silver Beach, as well as the perfect location to visit the quaint shops of Downtown St. Joseph. Read More
Bring your celebration to the shores of Lake Michigan!
You want a special location for the wedding you are planning. Shadowland on Silver Beach is that special place for no other year-round reception and meeting venue in Southwestern Michigan is so close to Lake Michigan.
Footsteps from Silver Beach, Shadowland offers you a picturesque backdrop of glistening water, crimson sunsets, a quaint lighthouse and Victorian-era downtown. It is a beautiful destination all four seasons.
Newly constructed, this place near the beach welcomes your intimate gathering for 50 to a lavish affair for 300 guests. It’s simple, yet elegant décor lets you create the ambience you want for your wedding. Shadowland’s unique Silver Beach Center offerings let you entertain your guests with beverages on the Sunset Patio overlooking the lighted Whirlpool Compass Fountain, with rides on the magnificent, hand-carved Silver Beach Carousel or with the opportunity to explore Curious Kids’ Discovery Zone. This is your place for making memories. Read More
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- August 2016
- July 2016
- May 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014